My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com
and please update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Look, its a Steak and Cheese!




Or IS it????


In an effort to eat healthier, I've decided to cut some of the meat from our diet. That isn't steak at all. It's sliced Portobello Mushrooms! And oh my gosh, what a delicious sandwich!

My confirmed meat-eating husband completely loved these. I served them on roasted garlic ciabatta, but you can serve these on your favorite type of roll. Honestly, the flavor is so good that you can't even tell you're not eating meat. And if you can tell, well, it tastes so good that you won't care! Seriously.

I used a frozen blend of herbs in this, but you can use whatever you want. And I was also thinking that the next time I make these, I'll try adding fennel seeds and cook it up the same way I do sausage and peppers. (Scroll down, it's the second recipe.) And I don't see why you couldn't use steak in these--so go ahead and give it a shot if you like.

This is from Eating Well, and I've changed it up a bit.

Portobello "Cheese Steak" Sandwiches

To print this recipe, click here!

2 tsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium red bell peppers, sliced
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced
3-4 tablespoons of your choice of fresh herbs, minced (I used a blend of Basil, Oregano, Rosemary and Thyme)
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
reduced fat provolone cheese, thinly sliced
4 whole wheat rolls



Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and peppers, cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in a scant 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook for about 4 minutes.
Add mushrooms, cook uncovered for another 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add herbs and pepper.
Reduce heat to low, sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat.
Stir in broth and soy sauce, and bring to simmer.
Remove from heat, cover the vegetables with cheese, and let it stand for a couple of minutes,
till the cheese melts.
Divide the mixture between the rolls and serve.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

44 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

LOOOOVE portobello mushrooms!! :-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome. My boyfriend is totally omnivorous and I'm veg, but he loves a good portobello sandwich (he's a huge mushroom fan). It sounds extra good on garlic bread!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

What a wonderful alternate - I truthfully never would have thought of doing that. I love your combination and will try this one!!

PS I will find you on face book!!!

kat said...

I would love this now if only I could convince my husband that he likes mushrooms

Katy said...

yum, yum, yum. way better than real steak, in my mind!

Erin said...

I'm a total mushroom addict so this looks heavenly to me.

Anonymous said...

I would enjoy trying that, as I love both the Veggie Pocket and #9 (steak, cheese, peppers, etc) from D'angelos :)

Donna-FFW said...

I LOVE this type of sandwich!! Holy Lord, I am sooo craving one right now!!! I am printing it out. Thank you!!

Colleen said...

Oooh I will have to try this on my husband. He loves red meat but has high cholesterol so we have been trying to cut back.

Bob said...

You are a horrible tease! I love steak and cheese, but don't like mushrooms. Well, the bread looks good. Heh.

I'll send the recipe along to my sister who loves mushrooms and cheese though. ;)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I've seen Nigella Lawson make something similar. Sounds delish

Shelby said...

This looks SO GOOD! My question is, could I pass it by Grumpy? Hmm...we may have to find out!! I love portabello's and their meatiness does make for a good substitute (IMHO)!

Unknown said...

I ADORE a good mushroom! Amazing how great they are as a meat substitute. My husband and I have seriously cut back our meat consumption and are so used to it we hardly miss it. I am moving this into the veg rotation! Thanks!

Emily
www.justeatfood.com

Anonymous said...

Amazing Elle :)

Sharon said...

Yum! This looks SO delicious. I'd definitely like this on the ciabatta roll you picked. Sometimes my hubby doesn't realize things are meat-free until I tell him after the fact!

Karen @ Mignardise said...

Sounds delicious Elle! Do you think the Steelers would approve?

Sara said...

What a great idea! I made chicken cheesesteaks the other day from an Everyday Food recipe, they came out well.

Annie said...

Ok, you got me drooling now. Really have to make these. What comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Get out of here! When I first saw this sandwich I would have sworn I saw steak in there. Looks great!! I think I could eat at least 3 of them lol.

Anonymous said...

This was really great. I love how it tastes when you melt the cheese and toast the bread under the broiler!

grace said...

well, although the look of it had me fooled, there's no way i'd be satisfied with a mushroom and cheese sammich when i was all geared up for a steak and cheese. good for you for taking the healthier route! :)

Lys said...

Love Love LOVE this idea! As a Philly girl, I love a great cheesesteak. As a girl that is on a quest to get healthy, I'm sooo trying this!

vanillasugarblog said...

did Bob say he didn't like mushrooms? ohhhh no!
I am always looking for new things to do with mushrooms, as I am getting kind of sick of them in soup.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

What a great looking sandwich Elle!!! I love portabellos cooked anyway possible!

Kaitlin said...

Mmmm delish!

Anonymous said...

Trying to do a few lighter healthier options too - looks divine!

taste memory said...

that looks so comforting + delicious! how fabulous with portabella, onions + red bell peppers. another lovely recipe elle!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Yummy sandwich!

Peter M said...

ELLE...LOOK OVER THERE------------>
(now I'm taking a bite of this steak sangwich)

I really don't know who took a bite! ;)

Maria said...

A mushroom sandwich with the works! I love it!~

Cris said...

Hi Elle... now I am hungry... look at that beautiful sandwich... Have a nice weekend!

Talita said...

This sandwich looks really tasteful! I can't live without cheese!

Garrett said...

Oh, how dare you do that to me? I came here expecting beef! I'm a card-carrying meat-eater, meat must be served with every single dish I eat. I...I...I have to admit though, this looks pretty damn delicious. Okay, FINE, I'll try it =P

giz said...

There's something for you on our blog.

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks great! And so tasty!

Unknown said...

Wow, you fooled me! Thought this was steak! Looks amazing, I plan on making this one, this looks like my kind of sandwich!

Anonymous said...

It's a Fake & Cheese! LOL It looks so delicious, Elle. The pictures are awesome.

Talita said...

I'm not the number one fan of mushroom but this sandwich looks so yummy....!!!

Sandie said...

Love how portobello mushrooms have the ability to sub-in for so many things, especially meats. I have a great appetizer recipe for portobellos on the grill---it's cheesy (in a good way) and marvelous as well!

Allison said...

Love this and will definitely be trying it. Who doesn't love Portablllo "steak"? I know I do!

Anonymous said...

It's hard to tell between meat and portobello if done right. Sounds like you pulled it off :)

Anonymous said...

These recipe cards are TRES cool. How do you do it?

Oh, and I'm going have to go find a steak and cheese now. I mean, this looks amazing.

Kristy said...

Ohh looks so tasty. Mmmm. And served with a Stell Artois, yum!

Kristy said...

*Stella

Post a Comment

Hi guys! I want you to know that I do read each and every comment, and even if I don't respond here, I do try to reply personally through email.


Oh!! If you're leaving a comment for a giveaway, don't forget to leave an email address where I can reach you!