My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com
and please update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pumpkin Morning Glory Muffins, perfect for cool Fall mornings


"My name is Elle and I'm a muffin addict."

Whew! I just had to get that off my chest. (As if you guys didn't already know that, right?)

A month or so ago, when we were out on one of our day trips, I picked up a Morning Glory muffin at a bakery, planning to save it and have it the next morning. My adorable husband brought it to me when he was getting in the truck and said "I thought you might want this now." I didn't , but I didn't tell him that, I just put it aside.

About an hour later, he was scoping out the bag with my muffin in it. "Want some?" I asked. I know him so well. Within 5 minutes we had that huge muffin
completely gone and were fighting over the crumbs, hehe. He asked me to make him some just like that one. I can't say no to him, so of course I said I would. Plus, I'm always up for making muffins, because, you know, I have that addiction going on.

I found this recipe online, by Pam McKinstry, which is supposed to be the original Morning Glory Muffin recipe. Is it? I don't know, but who am I to argue? I figured it was as good a place as any to start. I made some years ago (BH: Before Husband) that were also delicious, but had a huge amount of oil. Geez, there was enough oil in those to...to...well, I don't know what, but there was a lot, ok?

This recipe also has one cup of oil, and for one batch, that's just a whole lot. So that's where the pumpkin comes in. "Hello, Pumpkin!" I cut the oil by half and made up the rest with canned pumpkin. It's such a great way to cut some of the fat out of baked stuff, isn't it? And at this time of year, it fits right in!

So enough jabbering on, here's the recipe. Oh, I also added some white whole wheat flour in place of some of the AP flour in there, too. AND used a little chai spice, but you can use all cinnamon, if you like. AND I cut the sugar.



Pumpkin Morning Glory Muffins

Makes 17 muffins

scant 1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp chai spice (use all cinnamon if you wish)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
3/4 cup raisins
1 large apple, peeled and grated
8 ounces (1 cup) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup canned (plain) pumpkin
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Put your rack* in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients (or 6 if you're using only one flour), then add the coconut, raisins, apple, pineapple, carrots, and nuts. Stir this all together. It will be messy looking and dry, but stay with me.

In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, pumpkin, and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix to combine.

Grease your muffin tins, or use paper liners if you prefer. I don't use the papers, but that's a personal preference. Fill each muffin cup? space? area? (what the heck do you call the muffin spaces on a muffin tin????) all the way to the top.

Bake for 30-35 minutes and do the toothpick test. (should come out clean.) Cool muffin in the pan for 10 minutes and then cool completely on your rack (*giggle!).





*See that? On the inside, I'm still 13 years old. Maybe I even have an inner 13 year old boy, who knows? hehe!



**Leaves courtesy of Mother Nature and one of our Maple trees.




Pumpkin Morning Glory muffins

A twist on the old favorite! Using pumpkin cuts some ...

See Pumpkin Morning Glory muffins on Key Ingredient.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, I too am a muffin addict :0) And those morning glory muffins of yours just made me have a CRAVING!!!

Sophie said...

These look loaded in the most delicious way possible! WOW.

April was in CA now MA said...

Wow, that's a hot rack!

I may cry because all I'm missing to make these is the pineapple! I'm just not sure they'd be *as* good without it..

The pictures are gorgeous! We flew my mom up from GA so she could enjoy the foliage and we're having a great time! I'm making these muffins while she's here because they sound like the perfect flavor to compliment a fall day.

Adam said...

Whoa, those are not only stunning and delicious, but they are pretty healthy. It has fruits and veggies :)

Deborah said...

I just took some muffins out of the oven, but now I'm wishing they were these muffins!

Shaun said...

Elle ~ These muffins are outstanding - what a fabulous holiday treat! I'm having a Thanksgiving meal with friends soon (one of them is Canadian, and I still have ties to the US, so we are having our own little Thanksgiving in between the two official dates!), and I think I might make these, along with pumpkin pie. And I love the combination of all-purpose and wholewheat flour, actually. The maple leaf is a lovely touch - so very New England (how fortunate you are to live there).

grace said...

i love morning glory muffins, but you're right, they're ridiculously fatted-up. adding pumpkin is a great idea!
meanwhile, the first step is admitting you have a problem. bravo. :)

Rico said...

Amazing I just love Pumpkin everything, especially sweets, I Portuguese and pumpkin is something that we use a lot on cakes...well done with your muffins they look amazing.

http://ricocoffeeshop.blogspot.com

maya said...

looks like a wonderful recipe. might just have to make it:)

Karen @ Mignardise said...

I confess to being a muffin addict too. I think it would fun to have a bakery called Little Miss Muffin. Thanks for making these healthier than the average muffin. I can't wait to make them really soon.

Anonymous said...

my name is claire and I am also addicted to muffins. mostly the tops. I love the idea of adding canned pumpkin to these! seems like it'd give a more full-bodied result than applesauce. do you think other squash would work too?

Elle said...

Claire, hello! Yes, I do think other squashes would work well in these. In fact, I like to keep baby food squash on hand for that very reason. And they come in small amounts so you don't have a half a can of it left lying around in the fridge.

Audrey said...

I've been making MGMs for a long time, but I think the addition of pumpkin is brilliant! Bookmarked - thanks!

apparentlyjessy said...

Hey I am in Australia, and I would love to try these...but unfortunately we do not have canned pumpkin here :( What would you do if you couldn't get your hands on canned pumpkin?

Elle said...

Hi Jessy! If you can't get canned pumpkin, you can use just about any pumpkin/squash, just cooked so you can puree the flesh. You could even use sweet potato.

Hope this helps!

Janine said...

Hi, I'm J9. And I can't get enough of good morning glory bread. I'm also sort of addicted to pumpkin (a seasonal disorder) – so these look pretty much perfect. Can't wait to try it!

Post a Comment

Hi guys! I want you to know that I do read each and every comment, and even if I don't respond here, I do try to reply personally through email.


Oh!! If you're leaving a comment for a giveaway, don't forget to leave an email address where I can reach you!