My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com
and please update your bookmarks.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Random Thursday Thoughts: Football, Rude 4 year olds, and Pork Egg Rolls

What do these apples have to do with this post? Not a thing. I just like them.


Happy Thursday! I have a couple of thoughts in my head, and need to get them out. Too much rattling around in there.

The first is addressed to the Patriots fans that had the balls to boo the team and leave the stadium before the end of last Sunday's game. What were they thinking? We have been spoiled by being lucky enough to have Tom Brady go this long without any huge injuries. And here are just a few of their stats:

League Championships (Super Bowl Wins)

2001 (Super Bowl), 2003 (Super Bowl), 2004 (Super Bowl)

Conference Championships

1985 (AFC), 1996 (AFC), 2001 (AFC), 2003 (AFC), 2004 (AFC)

Division Championships

AFL East - 1963
AFC East - 1978, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005

Years in Playoffs

1963, 1976, 1978, 1982, 1985, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Thank you Rauzulu's Street for those stats.

The Patriots also have a record 21 regular season game winning streak, just broken on Sunday. So they have a bad day, and these spoiled rotten fans in the stadium jump ship and disrespect the team that has given New England so much these last years.

You guys suck. What happened to supporting your team? Do you think booing them makes them mad so they'll work harder and win? No, it's a slap in the face, and I'm embarrassed for you. Everyone's trying to be first to show up to the Super Bowl celebration parade through Boston, but one loss and they're jumping ship.

I for one, will proudly wear my official Belichick hoodie and watch every game, and cheer for my team, win or lose. They've worked so hard for us, and it's time for us to step up and support them.

My husband says I take football too seriously, hehe. Funny, right? A husband telling his wife she takes football too seriously. hahaha! He teases me and says we should now pick whatever team is doing best and root for them.

I think he almost felt the daggers from my eyes boring into his very soul.

And I know, a lot of people hate the Patriots and Belechick. But don't hate me for loving them--they're my team!

Rant #1 over. hehe!



Next up--rude 4 year old kids. Sitting in the dentists waiting room yesterday, waiting for my daughter to have some stuff done. There's this little boy there no older than 4, maybe a young 5. He is wreaking havoc in the toy area, tossing stuff around and being loud, like a 4 year old boy will do. I'm fine with that. But his mom, instead of sitting right near him and quietly telling him to behave, is sitting directly behind me, and YELLING across the entire waiting room "Gavin, knock it off!" "Gavin, cut it out!" You get the idea.

So then little Gavin--with a cherub face--comes walking over to where I'm sitting. Down a few seats from me is a man, minding his own business and waiting with his young daughter. Gavin comes around to this guy and looks up at him. I'm thinking he's going to say hi or some other sweet little thing.

No. No, no, no and no.

He looks up at the nice man and says "Hi douchebag!"

Knock me over with a feather. I gasped, and loudly. I was shocked! The man was so taken aback, that he didn't know what the heck to say. We looked at each other and gave the silent "WTF?!"

Did his mom say anything? Keep in mind, she was right behind me, so there's no way on God's green Earth that she didn't hear him. So did she say anything to sweet little Gavin?

Not. One. Word. If at that moment, he hadn't had his name called to go back and see the dentist, I'd have given an earful to his mom. No such luck.

I can forgive the kid, because you know, kids will hear something and pick it up, then say it to anyone and everyone. It happens, right? What I can't forgive, is the mother that let it happen and didn't say a word to him. He'll never learn not to say it if she doesn't tell him not to.

Mr. Nice Man looked at me and said "You know, if they aren't taught respect, they don't show respect."

Amen, Mr. Nice Man. Amen.

Rant #2 done.


And third--Pork Egg Rolls, because this IS a food blog, no?



These are a real favorite around here. I can even bribe my sister in law, Orietta, with these. (Hi Ori!) They are so simple. A little time consuming, wrapping them and all, but so worth it. I always double the recipe, because if you're going to the trouble, you may as well make more and have extra. And they won't be around long, let me tell you. If you can't eat them all, you'll most likely find someone that will help you. Or freeze them for another day. Oh, and since the filling is precooked, you can taste and adjust seasonings before you fry them all up and realize you have bland egg rolls!

These are from Everyday Food and a good, basic pork egg roll. But feel free to change things up here and there if you like. I added water chestnuts, not for flavor, because they have none, hehe, but for some crunch and texture.


Pork Egg Rolls


1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 Tbs brown sugar
veg oil (for frying)
2 napa cabbage, about 2 1/2 lbs, thinly sliced
water chestnuts
8 med carrots, coarsely grated
8 minced garlic cloves
2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
1 smallish can of water chestnuts, coarsely chopped
coarse salt and ground black pepper
2 lb ground pork
12 green onions, thinly sliced
32 (6-7" square) egg roll wrappers
2 large egg, lightly beaten

dipping sauce for serving



In a small bowl, combine soy, vinegar and sugar.

In a large skillet, heat 1 TB oil at med. high. Add cabbage carrots, garlic and ginger, and water chestnuts, season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes, stir occasionally.

Raise heat to high, add pork and soy mixture. Cook, stirring, until pork is done and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 min. Transfer to a plate to cool. (I made the filling a day ahead and kept it in the fridge, but for faster cooling, spread the filling on a large rimmed baking sheet.)

Working on a flat surface, put down 4 wrappers, keeping the others covered with damp paper towels. With a pastry brush, wet the 4 sides of the wrapper with the beaten egg. Put 1/3 cup of filling in the center of each wrapper. (don't be tempted to overfill)

Fold the point of the wrapper that's facing you over the filling, tucking the corner under the filling. Fold both side corners in so it looks like an open envelope. Tightly roll the wrapper to close and press to seal the edge.

At this point, you can freeze them: Freeze in a single layer at least 2 hours, transfer to a ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To fry, increase cooking time by about 3 mins per batch.

They say you can also bake these at 400° on a lightly oiled, rimmed baking sheet. Brush egg rolls with a bit of oil and bake till golden, 10 minutes. If baking from frozen, bake 15 minutes. (I have not tried this!)

For frying, I used a deep electric skillet. I like it because it's easy to control the temp of the oil. Pour in enough oil to be about an inch or 2 deep. Heat the oil to 350° and working in batches of 6, fry about 3 minutes on one side and flip the rolls, frying for about 2-3 minutes more. Remove to racks placed over paper towels to drain. Bring the oil back up to 350 degrees between batches. Serve with dipping sauce.



Can my man roll an egg roll or what? I'll forgive him for the "root for another team" comment. Maybe...

Egg rolls love a good dip in hot oil. Just make sure it's hot enough!


Oh yeah...that's the stuff. And see? If the oil is hot enough, they don't get greasy at all.


I don't have a special dipping sauce recipe, I usually just wing it till it tastes good:

Soy sauce, sesame oil, a little ginger, a bit of garlic, and a bit of brown sugar. Mix it all up and adjust to taste.


So that's it for this week's Thursday ramblings. Thanks for listening! Stay tuned for a Cinnamon Overload Apple Crisp recipe...

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Patti said...

As a native I couldn't agree more re: The New England Patriots. Nothing worse than a 'fair weather' fan, that's all I'm saying.

My egg rolls look like your egg rolls. That makes me happy.

Go Pats...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looove apples as well!! :0)

Ahh, so sorry about those rude kids :0(

Oooh, I cannot WAIT for the Cinnamon Overload Apple Crisp recipe!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

You crack me up! Tell those fans! And rude parents bring up rude kids.

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hate rude kids!!! Those pork rolls look great though. I think I'll try these!

kat said...

I just ate dinner & those egg rolls are still tempting!

Shannon said...

THANK YOU for the Patriots rant! I wasn't terribly happy with their performance last Sunday, but they're still my boys! I was really bothered by all the fans leaving too.

I also agree with you about little Gavin, I have 4 kids, and not ONE of them would ever dream of being disrespectful to an adult. I really don't understand some parents.

The eggrolls look great! I do the same thing when I make them... make LOTS and freeze the extra. They definitely take a little work :)

Sharon said...

Poor Gavin! I feel bad for him because he's going to grow up and be a brute. I mean, if your mom doesn't tell you that douchebag is inappropriate....uh.

On to happier things, the egg rolls look AMAZING.

Anonymous said...

OMG don't even get me started on the parents who say nothing. It's astonishing isn't it?

The egg rolls...wow.

Melanie Sheridan said...

While I'm no Patriots fan, I agree with you about booing your team. People here in San Diego did that last season, but then brought out the jerseys and put their Bolt flags back up when the team turned around. Fair weather fans make me mad.

Anonymous said...

I'm a new reader. I found your blog hopping from The Big Red Kitchen. You are one of my new faves. Why? Because everything you said about the Patriots is so true! We are not fair weather fans in this house. We watch the Pats, the Sox and the Celtics (maybe a Bruins game or two).

I don't know how you kept your mouth shut. I would have turned around and said something to his mother.

The egg rolls look yummy. I think I'm going to give them a try.

Unknown said...

These pork egg rolls look ridiculously delicious. I live in Italy, and while the Italian food is, of course, outstanding it's impossible to find good ethnic food. (At least in my area.)

I'm going to have to make these very soon!

tigerfish said...

I want the pork egg rolls NOW! So hungry at 11.32pm!

Adam said...

Haha fun post. I think one can never take football too seriously, it's all about love and passion. I had no idea Pats fans were booing... geez if they can't take a loss here or there it's their problem. Now as Jets fan, I'm so used to losing I'm almost numb :)

Deborah said...

Well, I have some opinions on raising children, and I'm sure they will change once my little one is born, but I would NEVER allow my child to act like that in public. NEVER.

But those egg rolls - I could definitely do those!!

Bunny said...

My husband is a die hard Steelers fan, nobody could be more disappointed than he is when they lose a game. But the man has never turned his back on them and never will. have you noticed that moms don't physicaly get up and run after they're kids anymore? Maybe it's just easier to YELL in a room full of people, i don't know. You would not believe how many people let they're kids get up out of they're seats in a restaurant and roam around, this folks can be very dangerous when the restaurant is busy and the waitstaff has to dodge children while carrying plates of HOT food or Hot drinks to a table. Believe me it has happened more times than I'd like to think about in the restaurant I work in. The waitstaff is thinking about all the tables she or he has to serve , getting the food to the table while it's hot and NOT thinking that there's gonna be a child standing in her path. The egg rolls look great and when I have the extra time I'm making these!

Maggie said...

They look delicious! I haven't had eggrolls in ages and ones with cabbage for even longer. We only get the bean sprout and pork eggrolls in our area. Too bad about that monstrous little boy. We ran into a couple of rotten ones at the park the other day that were killing caterpillars.

Anonymous said...

Wow! (I say that a lot in your comments) those egg rolls look really good. Maybe I'll splurge and make some tonight!

Mike

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Don't get me started on bad manners!!! These rolls look like a great footie (sorry its soccor over where you are) snack!!

Sophie said...

Woah. Very yummy. My hubby would marry me all over again if I made these :). I'm saving this, for sure!

grace said...

can i just say that i didn't know the word douchebag until i was about 15. what's the world coming to? :)
sorry about ol' tom brady...and great bundles of piggy goodness. :)

Mrs Ergül said...

Though I'm not into football I understand why and how much you can persist into supporting who you believed it! If someday Andy Lau (Hong Kong Megastar) loses an award or something, I'm never gonna jump ship, not 5 years back, not now, not 5 years later!

I totally hate parents who are not doing their part to teach their kids the right from the wrong and the wrong from the right. I hate it when kids make hell lot of noise on the public transport and their parents simply sit beside them and continue reading their papers without saying anything at all! Arghhhh

Lastly, I love egg rolls! But I never seem to be able to get them fried right. The first one turns out nice and the rest start looking black from the 'ditry' oil. And I dunno how the oil got dirty along the way. Someone help me!

RecipeGirl said...

Yay for egg rolls!

My hubby is from CT and is a huge Boston sport's fan. He explained to me that Boston fans can be the BEST and the rudest. All is great when the team is doing well, and things turn when the team does poorly. I don't quite get that but it does make for good entertainment I guess. Aren't Yankees fans the same way? I love Red Sox either way... but I have to root for my Chargers for football (even when they're not doing so well!)

Anonymous said...

You can bake them, I just spray them with cooking spray and turn them halfway through and they come out crispy.

Your pics always turn out sooo great!!

Anonymous said...

I like that little note you have about this comment box. How did you do that?

Anyway, new to the blog but had to comment that I love your Patriots rant.

LyB said...

Poor kid, really, it's not so hard to teach kids what's OK and not OK, you know? As for those egg rolls? Wow, and wow. They look perfect!

vanillasugarblog said...

You know, since we're all being honest here, I have been known to eat a cold egg roll for breakfast. It's breakfast time for me and I'm so ready for one of these bad boys.

Anonymous said...

Where does a 4 year old learn THAT particular word...sheesh!
Eggrolls look great!

Elle said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

Hangry Pants, if you go to Customize-->Settings-->Comments-->Comment Form Message, you can add whatever note you like.

The set up I have for a comment box right under the posts can be found here:

http://www.bloggerbuster.com/2008/06/how-to-add-comment-form-beneath-your.html

test it comm said...

Those rolls look nice and golden brown and tasty!

Anonymous said...

Love your site and I agree with you on 2 out of the three points. The mother of that little boy needs a talking to. What is wrong with people?! I feel bad for that little boy - sounds like he has no guidance or boundries to live by.

The pork egg rolls look wonderful and I plan on making them. But as for the football thing - these players don't work hard for us New Englanders, they work hard for the millions they make each year. I think they can handle people leaving a little early to beat the traffic and be able to enjoy the rest of the day. Not to mention - they charge us an arm and a leg for tickets, we should be able to leave early if we choose. :)

Post a Comment

Hi guys! I want you to know that I do read each and every comment, and even if I don't respond here, I do try to reply personally through email.


Oh!! If you're leaving a comment for a giveaway, don't forget to leave an email address where I can reach you!